ALL ABOUT MEPS
This is where you will find all the detailed information you need regarding your day of MEDICAL processing at MEPS. Your recruiter will go over important details regarding transportation, dress code and testing at your PRE-MEPS briefing.
Your PRE-MEPS briefing will be held the day before your processing at either 1030 or 1430 depending on the type of processing you are doing. After your briefing you will either go directly to MEPS for testing or to the hotel. Please check with your recruiter to see if transportation is available to the hotel or MEPS. On the day of processing you will take the hotel shuttle bus to MEPS at approximately 0500 and will be processing all day long. You will need to secure transportation to pick you up from MEPS on the day of processing.
PRE-MEPS Briefing: Bring a change of clothes for processing: follow all dress code regulations listed below!
Bring all original documents: social, birth certificate, ID and high school diploma. If you have college and/or high school transcripts (original/official versions) bring those. If you are married, bring your marriage license (original) and spouse’s birth certificate (original), social security card (original) and a copy of their ID. If you are divorced bring your divorce decree (original). If you have dependents, bring each dependent’s birth certificate (original) and social security card (original). Remember all documents must be originals or certified copies.
Houston MEPS is located: 701 South San Jacinto, Houston TX 77052
Hotel: Holiday Inn Intercontinental, 15222 JFK Blvd, Houston TX 77032
Parking at the Houston MEPS and surrounding areas is managed by numerous agencies. Paid parking is limited and prices vary from $16 to $80 per day before parking citations and towing are applied. The lot directly across the street from MEPS is currently $16/day. Applicants who insist on driving themselves are encouraged to park outside the MEPS in daily rate lots and avoid hourly rate spots/lots, they will not be allowed to pause processing to move their vehicle or feed the meter. Family members and friends who wish to attend enlistment ceremonies should be made aware of the parking situation before arriving. * Applicants are discouraged from driving themselves to MEPS – secure transportation or talk to your recruiter if you are having trouble finding a ride *
Applicant Dress / Conduct Code
The Houston MEPS promotes a professional environment and requires applicants to dress in a manner representative of the organization they are enlisting into as agreed upon by the Inter-service Recruitment Committee. Applicants who violate this standard will not process. Applicants should not bring large suitcases to the Hotel or MEPS, doing so slows down the security screening process. This includes applicants bringing video game systems (PS4/XBOX) to the Hotel/MEPS, these items slow down the security screening process which inevitably impacts processing schedules.
Outerwear will be conservative and in good taste. Attire must fit properly, be clean, neat, and free from rips, tears, and holes. Clothing should not contain words, designs, or pictures that are objectionable, prejudicial, obscene, or contrary to good order and discipline. Articles of clothing that are see-through, skin tight, hip-hugging, excessively short skirts or dresses, or other such type of clothing are not allowed. Dresses, skirts, and shorts may be no shorter than the top of the kneecap while standing upright. Garments such as any type of sleeveless shirt, tops exposing the abdomen, and other such abbreviated garments are not allowed. Applicants may not wear low-cut, scoop neck, or V-neck tops that expose cleavage. The back, front, and upper arm must be covered. Gym attire (sweats, gym shorts, yoga pants, etc.) is not allowed. This includes tights, leggings, or other types of hosiery worn as outer wear. Military uniforms, in whole or part, are not authorized for wear while processing (to include official PT gear or JROTC gear).
Headgear will not be worn while inside the MEPS (exceptions for religion will be made on case by case basis). Footwear must be closed-toe and of a design that will not create a safety or health hazard while walking. Applicants must wear modest undergarments as there are times during the medical examination when only undergarments are worn. Thongs, G-strings, or any type of spandex or compression shorts are not authorized for males or females. Boxers and briefs are not to extend past the mid-thigh. No piercings or excessive jewelry will be worn. Other jewelry may be asked to be removed during medical processing. The MEPS Operations Officer has the final determination should a question arise.
In addition to dress, applicants will behave in a manner consistent with military bearing and professionalism. The MEPS is a professional environment where its staff is expected to conduct business in an efficient manner. Profanity, vulgar, or any language or behavior that is deemed offensive and detracts from a climate free of discrimination will not be tolerated. Cell phones will only be used on the third floor and will be stored in either the liaison office or the baggage room within the applicant’s bag/suitcase. Any food and drink will be consumed in the cafeteria, USO, lounges, or stored in the baggage room. Applicants will not chew gum, fall asleep, lean on walls or banners, place feet on the furniture, walk around with hands in pockets, etc. Any misconduct is reason for removal and permanent disqualification.
Full Physicals – Things you should know!
• Applicants with any open wound or sickness, regardless of how severe, will not process
• Females are authorized to physical while on their menstrual cycle
• Piercings are not authorized; other conservative jewelry is authorized, although they may be asked to remove it for the physical; applicants with long hair should bring a hair tie
• Acrylic nails and fingernail polish is authorized; however extremely long nails are not allowed due to capturing of biometric data (fingerprints)
• To expedite visual testing, contacts should not be worn to the medical section; we request applicants wear glasses instead; we do not have an area for applicants to remove contacts
• Applicants should avoid taking any medications, including herbal supplements, that contain diuretics or other ingredients used to promote weight loss
• Applicants should refrain from loud noises (ear buds, hunting, construction sites, etc.) 48 hours prior to physical; this will ensure the best possible audio test for the applicant
• Urinalysis does not begin until AFTER the Commander’s and Medical Briefs (usually around 0830) and after testing for Same-Day-Processors(1100); do not have applicants hold ‘it’ from the time they wake up; hydrate well the morning of processing
• Proper hydration will assist in a more accurate reading of protein and sugar in urine and may prevent holdovers
• Must obtain 45ml of ‘observed’ urine for urinalysis; applicants who cannot urinate in front of others should not come for medical processing until they are more comfortable
• All applicants will be heighted/weighted when they report to medical if it has been over 30 days since their last height/weight
• Please inform applicants of the visualization requirement of genitals and anus (see examination information sheets)
• All females will receive a breast exam and a pregnancy test when they report to medical
• During the medical brief a breathalyzer is performed on all applicants; if positive results are found, processing will cease
• In order to facilitate proper examination hygiene is mandatory; please inform your applicants to shower and brush their teeth the morning of their medical exams
• If body odor, to include halitosis (bad breath), disrupts applicant processing, processing will cease
• The hotel provides all the necessities to ensure applicants arrive at the MEPS prepared for a full medical exam, please encourage your applicant to shower/hygiene
• Full coverage underwear is required for females; no ‘bootie shorts’, thongs, G-strings, etc.
• Boxers, boxer briefs, and briefs for males are acceptable
• Compression, spandex, or any other type of exercise shorts are not authorized undergarments